Despite what you might think, BYU is not the whitest law school in the country — it is not even in the list of ten whitest schools. Professor Vernellia Randall of the University of Dayton has compiled a list ranking law schools according to their whiteness. The whitest law school in the nation, according to Professor Randall, is the University of Montana. The least white law school on the list is the University of Puerto Rico. Howard comes in close as well, but has slightly more than 5 percent white students. BYU comes in at number 40, which almost exactly matches its ranking (#35) in the U.S. New listing. Interestinly, it is less white than the University of Utah (#29) or the University of Idaho (#4), two other schools where one might expect large numbers of Mormons (although perhaps not at Idaho, which is in the Gentile panhandle of the state, rather than in the Mormon heartland of the southeast). I’ve no idea what significance, if any, these listings have, but given legal academia’s obsession with rankings of one kind or another, I thought it interesting.
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- My Theory of the Church’s Statement on the Change in BSA Policy
- jb: As someone who came from a family where becoming an Eagle Scout was an expectation...
- Mark: There is absolutely no reason for a press release like this unless the decision has...
- Gary: Uh, uh, uh; not only are you taking my comments out of context, this was anything...
Notes From All Over
- Church History Department Releases Book of Mormon Printer’s Manuscript in New Book August 4, 2015
- Mormons Around the World Country Newsroom Websites July 30, 2015 July 30, 2015
- MOTION GRAPHIC: Helping the Needy; It's a Hand Up July 29, 2015
- Church Re-evaluating Scouting Program July 27, 2015
- Mormonism in Pictures: Mormon Tabernacle Choir Expands Outreach July 23, 2015
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir Announces 2016 European Tour July 23, 2015
The Whitest Law School
September 16, 2005 | 46 commentsBy Nate Oman