Despite what you might think, BYU is not the whitest law school in the country — it is not even in the list of ten whitest schools. Professor Vernellia Randall of the University of Dayton has compiled a list ranking law schools according to their whiteness. The whitest law school in the nation, according to Professor Randall, is the University of Montana. The least white law school on the list is the University of Puerto Rico. Howard comes in close as well, but has slightly more than 5 percent white students. BYU comes in at number 40, which almost exactly matches its ranking (#35) in the U.S. New listing. Interestinly, it is less white than the University of Utah (#29) or the University of Idaho (#4), two other schools where one might expect large numbers of Mormons (although perhaps not at Idaho, which is in the Gentile panhandle of the state, rather than in the Mormon heartland of the southeast). I’ve no idea what significance, if any, these listings have, but given legal academia’s obsession with rankings of one kind or another, I thought it interesting.
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- On Ben Carson’s Adventism, Creationism, and the Bible
- mirrorrorrim: No need to convince me: I’m not a believer in the earth only being...
- Ben S.: “Reading it naturally” often means without context. I agree that...
- mirrorrorrim: Ben S., Joseph Fielding Smith had good reason: Doctrine and Covenants 77:6:...
Notes From All Over
- Church, Governments and Humanitarian Partners Aid Refugees in Europe November 24, 2015
- Mormons Around the World Country Newsroom Websites November 24, 2015 November 24, 2015
- Faith Leaders Participate in Dedication of New Church Meetinghouse in Washington, D.C. November 23, 2015
- Montreal Quebec Temple Opens Following Rededication November 22, 2015
- Worldwide Mormon Leaders Cheryl Esplin and Neill Marriott Visit Women and Children in Asia November 20, 2015
- First Presidency Expresses Love, Support for French People November 14, 2015
The Whitest Law School
September 16, 2005 | 46 commentsBy Nate Oman