The Sabbath Pages

September 4, 2005 | 11 comments

There are Sabbath Heroes, but there are Sabbath Businesses too. We all know about the Chick-Fil-A’s of the world, but what about the local entities? I’ve been kicking around an idea for a bit now on how to recognize them.

My goal would be to create a Sabbath Pages that lists businesses in the local area that make some kind of concession to the Sabbath (closed Sundays, skeleton staff Sundays, open Sundays but prefer not to do business then and willing to give a discount of some kind to customers who don’t expect work on Sundays, etc.). Then copies would be distributed through local sabbath-observing churches.

I would like your advice as to ways and means. How do I get the information on the businesses? What sort of time and money commitment would I be looking at? How might I cover costs from outside sources? Would Christians of various sorts be interested in this sort of thing? Would their pastors? Are there already organizations out there whose efforts I might be duplicating in part?

11 Responses to The Sabbath Pages

1. A Nonny Mouse on September 5, 2005 at 12:09 am

You could easily create an database driven web page which would be easily supportable with Google Ads if it became usable. Particularly if you go with a fairly low cost provider… As for distribution to local Sabbath-observing churches you could probably print up editions and pass them out, or encourage people to do so…

2. Ivan Wolfe on September 5, 2005 at 9:41 am

Sounds like the Shephard’s Guide (although with a more narrow focus). http://www.shepherdsguide.com/

3. John T. on September 5, 2005 at 11:31 am

I nominate Starbucks. Yesterday, when I went in to the Ft. Union store for my Venti French Roast, a picture-perfect wholesome Mormon family was enjoying their Iced Lattes, Frappucinos and biscotti. It appeared to be the perfect respite after the mind-numbing ramblings of Sunday School/Elder’s Quorom-Relief Society-etc./Testimony day.

4. Silus Grok on September 5, 2005 at 11:33 am

I’d also like to see “Sabbath” a little more-broadly defined… I’d like to see Jewish, Muslim, and Saturday-observing Christians in the mix.

5. Silus Grok on September 5, 2005 at 11:37 am

Oh, and here’s a Shepherd’s Guide for the Muslim world… Zabihah.

6. Adam Greenwood on September 5, 2005 at 3:16 pm

I don’t see that as worthwhile, Silus Grok. I live in a majority Catholic-Protestant area.

7. Ashley on September 5, 2005 at 3:53 pm

Even in areas with a high enough Muslim population to consider including them in something like Adam’s proposal, it’s my understanding that the Muslim “sabbath” is a day of prayer, but not a day of rest. I could be wrong, though.

8. Stephen Hardy on September 6, 2005 at 3:10 pm

Even in Salt Lake, I find this (business observation of the sabbath) to be impossible to pursue. The genie is out of the bottle, and it can’t get back in. I live in Boston, where “blue laws” were in force much later than in Utah, but even here, most stores are open on Sundays now. Interestingly, in Boston the Sunday closings were not argued for in terms of religious observance, but in terms of worker’s rights. The unions here didn’t want to made to work on Sundays. They argued for Sunday closings in terms of family and person time. But eventually the businesses won out (again.)

Now, we have a much more diverse population. As Muslim populations grow we will find more who want to observe the sabbath on Saturday insteady of Sunday. And our desire to keep Sunday free of things (soccer games, music recitals, birthday parties, as well as working/shopping) will increasingly be seen as a challange to those who observe religious days other than Sunday. For me, the best bet is just to observe the Sabbath as I see fit, and not to worry about businesses/policies of others.

9. Adam Greenwood on September 7, 2005 at 12:01 pm

Defeatism is all very well, but the simple fact is that there are people and businesses who are trying to keep the Sabbath at some cost to themselves, and others who don’t for financial advantage, and I’d rather patronize the former.

10. Sunbeam on September 7, 2005 at 3:49 pm

Ukrops is the major supermarket chain in and around Richmond, VA. They are closed on Sundays so that everyone can go to church (and have a sign encouraging their customers, too).

It seems that a web-based data base would be the best start. Then even when I am travelling, I can search for businesses to patronize.

11. Adam Greenwood on September 8, 2005 at 11:10 pm

Ukrops sounds great. So does a web-based database, but I have no idea how to go about doing that.