I am sure most of you are familiar with the types of “Mormon t-shirts” like these, these, these and these. To me, they are beyond kitschy and have entered the realm of horribly tacky. What bothers me most is how they use the hard and well-built brand recognition of other companies to sell themselves. In the basic legal training I received every year at Old Navy, we learned that our designs needed to be at least 10% different from the original “inspiration” to avoid any “trouble” (not that most designers like to “knock-off” but many of the business-minded people are looking for a “quick buck”). This 10% is obviously hard to calculate, so what it really came down to was, no one should be able to look at a product and identify the company that may have inspired the piece. Now I am hoping that these “Mormon t-shirts” fall into some legal loophole, because of that whole 12th Article of Faith thing, but they still bother me. I know how hard designers and graphic artists work to create original logos and how hard the merchandisers work to develop the brand recognition of that logo. To me, using the hard work of others to sell a tacky “Mormon t-shirt” is just bad form.
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- I was a stranger, and ye took me in
- wreddyornot: Jax, thanks for sharing your mission experience and essentially making the...
- Jax: Brian, Your asking for a personal experience that relates to an...
- Rachel Whipple: Trevor wrote: I’ve often wondered at the complications involved in taking...
- Dave: Walter, even though it was not the main thrust of the post, I like how you built...
- Craig H.: Nice ideas, Walter. I’ve always thought it significant that Alma 7...
Notes From All Over
Notes from All Over
- Public Invited to Tour Newly Remodeled Ogden Utah Temple July 29, 2014
- Mormonism in the News: Getting It Right | 23 July 2014 July 23, 2014
- FamilySearch Volunteers Break International Indexing Record July 23, 2014
- Mormon Youth in Utah Host Special Needs Pioneer Trek July 22, 2014
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Santino Fontana Headline Pioneer Day Concerts July 20, 2014
- Groundbreaking Date Announced for Meridian Idaho Mormon Temple July 18, 2014
Mormon T-shirt Kitsch
August 8, 2005 | 36 commentsBy Carrie Lundell