I am sure most of you are familiar with the types of “Mormon t-shirts” like these, these, these and these. To me, they are beyond kitschy and have entered the realm of horribly tacky. What bothers me most is how they use the hard and well-built brand recognition of other companies to sell themselves. In the basic legal training I received every year at Old Navy, we learned that our designs needed to be at least 10% different from the original “inspiration” to avoid any “trouble” (not that most designers like to “knock-off” but many of the business-minded people are looking for a “quick buck”). This 10% is obviously hard to calculate, so what it really came down to was, no one should be able to look at a product and identify the company that may have inspired the piece. Now I am hoping that these “Mormon t-shirts” fall into some legal loophole, because of that whole 12th Article of Faith thing, but they still bother me. I know how hard designers and graphic artists work to create original logos and how hard the merchandisers work to develop the brand recognition of that logo. To me, using the hard work of others to sell a tacky “Mormon t-shirt” is just bad form.
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- New Polygamy Essays
- Clean Cut: Julie, I always look forward to reading your excellent thoughts. I think...
- Anon: Whose to say the spouses who have moved on to the other side aren’t also...
- anon for this: @Jill, You raise an issue that has come up for my wife’s family. Her...
Notes From All Over
- Entertainer Donny Osmond to Speak at RootsTech 2015 October 23, 2014
- Young Women Leader Shares Message of Faith With Girl Scouts October 22, 2014
- Church Updates Temple Garment Video October 22, 2014
- Mormons Around the World: Country Newsroom Websites | 20 October October 20, 2014
- Indianapolis Indiana Temple Topped With Angel Moroni Statue October 17, 2014
- Broadway Star Santino Fontana and ‘Sesame Street’ Muppets™ Headline Christmas Concerts October 16, 2014
Mormon T-shirt Kitsch
August 8, 2005 | 36 commentsBy Carrie Lundell