I am sure most of you are familiar with the types of “Mormon t-shirts” like these, these, these and these. To me, they are beyond kitschy and have entered the realm of horribly tacky. What bothers me most is how they use the hard and well-built brand recognition of other companies to sell themselves. In the basic legal training I received every year at Old Navy, we learned that our designs needed to be at least 10% different from the original “inspiration” to avoid any “trouble” (not that most designers like to “knock-off” but many of the business-minded people are looking for a “quick buck”). This 10% is obviously hard to calculate, so what it really came down to was, no one should be able to look at a product and identify the company that may have inspired the piece. Now I am hoping that these “Mormon t-shirts” fall into some legal loophole, because of that whole 12th Article of Faith thing, but they still bother me. I know how hard designers and graphic artists work to create original logos and how hard the merchandisers work to develop the brand recognition of that logo. To me, using the hard work of others to sell a tacky “Mormon t-shirt” is just bad form.
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Data, Doctrines, & Doubts: Improving Gospel Instruction
- jcobabe: What a marvelous change of pace from standard Bloggernacle fare! I find no spirit...
- John Lundwall: Great post. Great talk. Correct principles in our teaching culture. Good...
- rs1: I agree. I enjoyed your post very much.
- Chris Henrichsen: Let us hope this works out better than my guest stint. :)
Notes From All Over
- Interfaith Video Competition Winners Announced August 31, 2015
- Mormons Around the World Country Newsroom Websites August 31, 2015 August 31, 2015
- President Uchtdorf Dedicates New Addition to Church’s Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii August 29, 2015
- Church Creates Original Video Series on Addiction Recovery August 28, 2015
- Angel Moroni Lifted to the Top of the Fort Collins Colorado Temple August 27, 2015
- Church to Go Forward with Scouting Program August 26, 2015
Mormon T-shirt Kitsch
August 8, 2005 | 36 commentsBy Carrie Lundell