We just had a technical mini-crisis. I think it’s past.
The crisis went like this — server load shot up to 80, memory used was at 80%, and cppop, imap, and ftpd all failed. (This is _exactly_ what happened to us at our old new server, and got that account suspended.)
I temporarily disabled a few plugins. It didn’t seem to help.
The thought occurred to me that blacklist might be causing the problem. I took blacklist and flood control off for a few minutes. It lookied like things were getting better.
Then we got hit with a huge resource spike that bumped server use to 160 (our green-light amount is 4!), and knocked Apache into “failed.” At that point, I disabled the comment script altogether. (If that killed your comment-in-progress, I apologize).
That brought things back to earth very quickly. Apache eventually went green again (whew!).
I believe that the problem is that we’re getting hit with a flood of spam. This is triggering repeated use of moderation and blacklist, which is straining server resources. (Each time blacklist runs, it checks each comment against a list of over 3000 banned sites).
I could be wrong. Anyway, we’re continuing to see if we can figure out what’s going on.