FeastUpontheWord

March 15, 2005 | 10 comments

My second son, Matthew, has been working on a web site, actually a Wiki site, for a while now: http://feastupontheword.org. He has put all of the LDS scriptures on-line and made it possible for people to create thought questions, make comments about lexical matters, and then to add exegesis.

I’m very impressed with what he’s done, not only because he is one of my children, but also because this is a lot of work and it could be an important resource for church members. I think that it is also important because the democratic nature of a Wiki site allows for us to pool our thinking in order to create that resource. The result is the collective understanding of the members who take part rather than only the thinking of one person.

So, I encourage you to go take a look. Even more, I encourage you to add some thought questions, lexical notes, or exegesis. If you wish to see some work that has already been done, go to 2 Nephi 11.

10 Responses to FeastUpontheWord

1. Kaimi on March 15, 2005 at 12:19 pm

Thanks for the link,. Jim, it looks like a very worthwhile project.

2. Bryce I on March 15, 2005 at 1:55 pm

This is an excellent idea.

3. Jeremy on March 15, 2005 at 2:28 pm

This is brilliant. Thanks for the link. My only worry is that as its content grows I’ll get lazy and simply dip into the collective Wiki pool for every talk and lesson… :)

Kudos to Matthew.

4. Steve Evans on March 15, 2005 at 2:45 pm

Jim, maybe you could email me your son’s address? I have a few questions.

5. MDS on March 15, 2005 at 3:46 pm

Jim,

It seems like your Sunday School lessons would add nicely to the thought questions on your son’s site.

6. Jeff on March 15, 2005 at 5:06 pm

I usually use http://www.gospeldoctrine.com for commentary; what they have there is very thorough and well-done. But I like that this site is based on Wiki. Maybe someone should e-mail the guy who does http://www.gospeldoctrine.com about this. :)

7. Wilfried on March 15, 2005 at 5:09 pm

Congratulations to Matthew, Jim! We can only wish we all had such dedicated children. We need this thing in multiple languages!

8. Ben Huff on March 15, 2005 at 5:39 pm

When I went to look, I was a little intimidated by the whole Wiki business, since I’d never contributed to one before, but it’s very easy to add commentary. Once you find a spot where you have something to add, you can just click on “edit” for that field and type something in, in ordinary text, rather like commenting on this blog. Go for it!

9. Matthew Faulconer on March 15, 2005 at 9:58 pm

Thanks for the kind comments. I hope you all become contributors!

Please don’t feel like you have to have write something perfect before you can post it. In fact, if you do have something perfect, a wiki (where anyone can change any of the content) would be a poor choice of place to post it;)

Also, I welcome suggestions on how the site should take shape. There is a page just for this:

or if the edit link on that page is too intimidating feel free to e-mail me.

Steve and all, my e-mail address is: matthew.faulconer@sbcglobal.net

Dad, thanks for the plug.

–Matthew

10. Jim F. on March 16, 2005 at 12:11 am

Matthew, I’m always happy to plug for my children.