Welcome, Brigham Young University.

February 14, 2005 | 25 comments

Times and Seasons got mentioned in the obscure bowels of the Daily Universe back pages today. Yippee! Performance bonuses all around. Next up: a cameo in a cheesy Mormon flick. And, with time and a lot of luck, we now have some hopes that we can achieve the ultimate in Mormon stardom. Ne plus ultra, thy name is the Daily Universe Letters to the Editor section.

Until then, BYU students, staff, and academicians, welcome! Rummage around.

25 Responses to Welcome, Brigham Young University.

1. A. Greenwood on February 14, 2005 at 7:20 pm

Times and Seasons is the biggest and most popular site in the bloggernacle, but there’s a lot more sites out there. Check out the links on our sidebar. I would especially recommend http://motleyvision.blogspot.com , http://www.millennialstar.org, and http://celibateinthecity.blogspot.com . Or, if edgier but still inside the household of faith Mormonism is your thing, check out http://www.bycommonconsent.com .

2. A. Greenwood on February 14, 2005 at 7:25 pm

For the record, I think it was a blogger at http://www.MillennialStar.org what pitched the idea of running an article to the Universe in the first place. Thanks, fellas.

3. Steve Evans on February 14, 2005 at 7:46 pm

That’s the finest piece of paid journalism I’ve ever read. Sheesh!

4. A. Greenwood on February 14, 2005 at 7:59 pm

Yikes, Steve Evans. You need to read some more paid journalism. Heck, pay me a penny for writing this comment.

5. Nate Oman on February 14, 2005 at 8:07 pm

Contrary to the story, however, T&S was not started by four lawyers. As I recall it was started by four lawyers — Nate, Kaimi, Matt & Greg — one law professor — Gordon — and one law student (since promoted) — Adam.

6. danithew on February 14, 2005 at 8:11 pm

I’d expect this would bring a bevy of new readers to the ‘Nacle and maybe bring some to create new blogs as well.

7. A. Greenwood on February 14, 2005 at 8:16 pm

I would think so too, but the original article is pretty bad. You’re left with no clear idea of what a blog is. And Kaimi tells us that only 6% of our traffic is from BYU today. That’s higher than normal, but not that high.

8. Mason Konkle on February 14, 2005 at 8:21 pm

Talk about exposure! T&S has finally made it big. =)

Here’s my shameless (but applicable) plug for ProvoPulse.com–a student-run community weblog for BYU / UVSC students. Check it out.

9. danithew on February 14, 2005 at 8:27 pm

By the way, months ago when I was still running Wump Blog, I sent a little email to that LDS webiste (starts with M) some people aren’t too fond of, offering to write a little article about the rise of the Bloggernacle. I gave them a link to my post about top ten Mormon blogs and a little spiel … but never got any response at all. I’m guessing they’re not too fond of the blogger competition. I’m always glad to see when the print media recognizes my favorite blog (T&S) and gives it the deserved attention. Keep up the good work and I’m so glad the original creators of the blog had the idea and acted on it. Kudos and hugs all around. Sincerely.

10. Steve Evans on February 14, 2005 at 8:38 pm

dan, what site was it?

11. Matt Evans on February 14, 2005 at 8:41 pm

Nate, I was already an ex-lawyer when we started T&S.

Steve, Meridian.

12. danithew on February 14, 2005 at 8:41 pm

Steve, it was Meridian. My mom actually writes for them occasionally.

13. mike on February 14, 2005 at 8:53 pm

i think it’s funny that the angry mormon got a nod in the article instead a lot of the more established moblogs.

14. Kaimi on February 14, 2005 at 8:54 pm

I suspect that Meridian knows about at least some of the bloggernacle. One of our permabloggers has written for them. Take a look, e.g., at some of the articles at http://www.meridianmagazine.com/ancients/ .

15. danithew on February 14, 2005 at 9:07 pm

Kaimi,

I am sure Meridian is aware of the bloggernacle. I would think they’d be very interested in writing about it. To my knowledge, Meridian has never written anything about T&S, the ‘Nacle or Mormon blogging. For a LDS web-site that has been around this long, that is a bizarre omission.

16. Steve Evans on February 14, 2005 at 9:14 pm

Oh, that lds website. Serves me right for not picking up on it, I rarely read it.

17. Bryce I on February 14, 2005 at 9:29 pm

One possible reason for the lack of traffic from BYU is that there’s no URL listed anywhere in the article, and no links to T&S that I can see.

18. danithew on February 14, 2005 at 9:32 pm

T&S guest-blogger Dan Peterson has also had a number of posts (maybe a regular column?) at Meridian.

I wonder what it would take for the bloggernacle to receive mention in the Church News, the Ensign or in General Conference. It seems to me that eventually the Church leadership will have some kind of response to offer. The Church has traditionally supported journal-writing … but of course online-journal-writing is a whole new ballgame.

19. a random John on February 15, 2005 at 9:12 am

Maybe you guys could invite SuperDell to guest blog, he certainly falls into the categories you’ve mentioned above. Then he could mention it in an ad, and traffic would explode!

20. Davis Bell on February 15, 2005 at 9:41 am

A random john: tell me this — have you ever seen Kaimi and Super Dell at the same time? Nope. Didn’t think so.

21. danithew on February 15, 2005 at 10:05 am

I seem to recall that SuperDell got caught with his illicit herbal stash.

22. a random John on February 15, 2005 at 10:22 am

danithew,
    Crud. I leave Utah for a few years and everthing goes to pot!

23. danithew on February 15, 2005 at 10:45 am

You know … I have obviously gotten two people mixed up. Superdell is a huge local Utah celebrity (hehe). Here’s a link: http://saltlakecity.about.com/library/weekly/00art/aa042400a.htm

On the other hand, there’s that guy who used to do the “Dude you’re getting a Dell” commercials. And he was the one who was caught with pot:

My apologies for slandering Superdell’s good name.

24. watkinator on February 16, 2005 at 3:38 pm

OK so I’m like the last person who is ever going to comment here probably but I ‘m glad the daily unifarce said something about you guys. I’d never have found out any other way and I’m liking what I’ve found so far. Now you’re traffic that comes from BYU is 6.1%. Ok maybe more like 6.001%.

25. A. Greenwood on February 16, 2005 at 5:20 pm

Thanks. Here at T&S our motto is ‘The Watkinator Makes it All Worthwhile.’