Democracy Wall

February 17, 2005 | 10 comments

This and other blogs have needed a feedback mechanism, a Democracy Wall, for some time now.

The advent of the Bloggernacle Times is a good step. The posters promise to point us to the best of the bloggernacle, and since they blog themselves, we don’t have to worry about any hidden biases in their judgment.

By itself that’s not enough. When it comes to Times and Seasons, for instance, people often have things to say about the blog or where its going, or even about an individual coblogger, but they’re reduced to plaintive posts on other blogs or isolated comments scattered across the vast landscape of Times and Seasons threads.

I’ve discovered a feature at the Millennial Star that will help. Next to each one of their links, they’ve included an icon that lets you comment on the link and read other comments. Now folks can have their say on T&S in one easy-to-find, easy-to-go-back-to place. I’ve started off the discussion, though my take on Times and Seasons is not a critical one.

10 Responses to Democracy Wall

1. HL Rogers on February 17, 2005 at 5:39 pm

How do you access these posts without the above link? I can’t seem to fnid how from MStar’s front page.

2. A. Greenwood on February 17, 2005 at 5:48 pm

If you go the sidebar, each link has a little, tiny icon just to the left. Click on it.

3. Russell Arben Fox on February 17, 2005 at 6:02 pm

I hope you don’t mean to imply that Millennial Star may treat this thread the same way the original Democracy Wall was ultimately treated.

4. Steve Evans on February 17, 2005 at 6:05 pm

Why didn’t you do this at T&S instead?

Plus, I would note that BT will certainly point out the best of the Bloggernacle, but I think we’re also there to point out its hideous side and pundit on that basis.

5. A. Greenwood on February 17, 2005 at 6:10 pm

Not at all, Russell Fox. Notice that there’s no link for criticizing the Star itself. Do you think the chi-coms would have cracked down on the Democracy Wall people if they were mainly commenting on other countries?

Too bad, though. It would be fun to see what oppression would look like in the bloggernacle.

6. William Morris on February 17, 2005 at 6:12 pm

We put the sass in analysass. Or something like that…

Hmm. Perhaps I should leave the clever snarkisms up to Steve.

Oh, wait. There we go. We put the ark in snark. Get it? Steadying, etc.

Never mind.

7. Stephen M (ethesis) on February 17, 2005 at 7:52 pm

I’d like to see a discussion on dynamics in gospel programs and how many positions may actually be programs.

There is a lot to think about there.

8. Bryce I on February 17, 2005 at 8:13 pm

Steve Evans asks, “Why didn’t you do this at T&S instead?”

The T&S blogroll is powered by a WordPress plugin. The M* blogroll is actually a blog of its own, so comments are built in. It’s a nice feature of b2evolution.

You’ve already discovered that the bio pages at M* can be commented on as well. That’s its own blog as well.

In fact, the featured comments are a blog, the words of wisdom are a blog, and there are secret blogs that only a privileged few have seen.

9. Bryce I on February 17, 2005 at 8:16 pm

Stephen M–

I’m not sure what you’re getting at, but if you’re looking for a discussion, you’re welcome to write up a post and submit it to M* at submissions at millennialstar dot org. I know you have your own blog, but if you’re looking for a different audience, we’re happy to consider posts from our readers.

10. Stephen M (ethesis) on February 20, 2005 at 6:15 am

A poem by Suzette Haden Elgin, about her grandmother (true story, btw):

When she was small, she had a pony cart,
    pulled by a pair of well-matched half-grown deer
    culled for her from her father’s well-stocked deer park –
    a new pair of the proper size for each new year.
    The harness (scarlet leather with silver sleighbells)
    was custom-made for her in town. And without fail,
    each day that there was decent country weather,
    she drove the rig to New Hartford and fetched the mail.