The Mormon Church is for Sale. On eBay.

January 3, 2005 | 17 comments

I just noticed this: Go to Philocrites’ blog and look at the google ads on the sidebar. (The ads run according to some pre-set computer algorithms that advertise for things relating to the topics discussed.) This particular post discusses a Mormon baptism, and the ads included, on a recent viewing, links to “Mormon dating” . . . “Mormon beliefs Biblical?” . . . “Mormon dating” again . . . so far, so good — ads for the kinds of things one would expect the algorithm to come up with. And then we get to:

Mormon Church for Sale. Discount Mormon church! Check out the deals now! www.ebay.com”.

Conspiracy theorists everywhere, please take note. The Mormon Church is for sale. On eBay. At a discount. Paypal accepted. Don’t let this auction slip away! Check Philocrites to see if it’s still in the sidebar!

17 Responses to The Mormon Church is for Sale. On eBay.

1. john fowles on January 3, 2005 at 6:03 pm

A couple of years ago, there was a town for sale on ebay. Looks like the stakes (pun intended) have been set even higher now.

2. David King Landrith on January 3, 2005 at 7:13 pm

Thanks for the tip, Kaimi. I just bid $100 for the one in Missouri!

3. David King Landrith on January 3, 2005 at 8:16 pm

Yipee! I won the auction!

I’m now the proud owner of a Mormon church that’s headquarters in Independence and has 250,000 members. Apparently, they lack an official leader right now, but I plan to remedy that soon.

4. john fowles on January 3, 2005 at 8:23 pm

Wierd. More details please.

5. Adam Greenwood on January 3, 2005 at 8:25 pm

DKL,
    Are you taking resumes?
    I am willing to change my name to Smith if the right position opens up.

6. Clark on January 3, 2005 at 8:38 pm

Reminds me of when we sold the church I attended as a kid to the Boy Scouts.

7. Kaimi on January 3, 2005 at 9:42 pm

John,

It’s the result of Google’s goofy algorithm. It takes whatever you’re looking at and pops up an ebay ad offering that item for sale.

So if I’m looking at a post about cars, the ebay ad will say “Cars for sale. Discount cars.” If I’m looking at a page referencing books, it will say “Books for sale. Discount books.”

And if I’m looking at a page referencing Mormon church, well, the little algorithm goes to work and comes up with an ebay ad offering “Mormon church for sale.”

8. Derek on January 4, 2005 at 1:47 am

If Sam Walton buys it, will my temple recommend get me into Sam’s Club?

9. Charles on January 4, 2005 at 10:54 am

Adam, Does that mean you will be writing a new edition of Adam Smith’s ecconomics and the invisible mormon hand?

Personally, I can’t wait for philosopher kings to make a come back!

10. john fowles on January 4, 2005 at 11:34 am

Kaimi, was there really a church for sale on ebay (I didn’t have a chance to go there and check it out)?

11. Kaimi on January 4, 2005 at 11:42 am

No, no actual church for sale — just a goofy web ad generated by the mindless ebay algorithm.

12. David King Landrith on January 4, 2005 at 11:55 am

I was trying to formulate a clever Adam Smith joke. Looks like you beat me to it, Charles.

And, Kaimi: Are you calling me a liar?

13. john fowles on January 4, 2005 at 1:00 pm

Ah, I see. Sorry for the confusion.

14. Adam Greenwood on January 4, 2005 at 1:16 pm

I didn’t say I’d change my name to “Adam Smith.” Just Smith, thank you. My next career move would be to change my name to a symbol, so I could be known as “the RLDS prophet formerly known as Smith”.

15. Kaimi on January 4, 2005 at 1:17 pm

I knew a man with a wooden leg named Smith.

16. The Only True and Living Nathan on January 4, 2005 at 1:24 pm

If Sam Walton buys it, will my temple recommend get me into Sam’s Club?

It already does. Go try it and see.

17. Chad Too on January 4, 2005 at 2:15 pm

What was the name of his other leg?