On an earlier thread, someone opined that I am precisely the sort of snob for whom it is impossible to select a musical gift that will be appreciated. I want to report that two brilliant, generous and very thoughtful friends have actually done it, even without reference to an Amazon wish list. The CD is Saints Bound for Heaven, recorded by a Mormonish group called Ephraim’s Harp in NYC, and it’s great stuff. The performance preserves the vigor and excitement of a Sacred Harp sing, without the jarring intonation problems that can occur with a wildly enthusiastic group of amateurs. There’s lots of good singing here, and some fun settings of texts we know with other tunes. This is the soil from which American (and Mormon) hymnody grew, and it’s a good thing to return to roots every once in a while. You can listen to clips and buy the CD here. Do it!!
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Mormons and Scouting: A Messy Divorce?
- Chet: Thank you Old Man for expanding my thought(s). Clearly, our strict obedience in the...
- Old Man: Chet, It is not riding in the back of an open pickup that is scary, it is...
- Chet: Can we at least keep “Guide to Safe Scouting”? Please don’t let my...
Notes From All Over
- Mormons Around the World Country Newsroom Websites July 30, 2015 July 30, 2015
- MOTION GRAPHIC: Helping the Needy; It's a Hand Up July 29, 2015
- Church Re-evaluating Scouting Program July 27, 2015
- Mormonism in Pictures: Mormon Tabernacle Choir Expands Outreach July 23, 2015
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir Announces 2016 European Tour July 23, 2015
- MOTION GRAPHIC: LDS Charities Provides Wheelchairs Around the World July 20, 2015
Shameless Huckstering: Ephraim’s Harp
December 18, 2004 | 7 commentsBy Kristine Haglund