Shameless Huckstering: Ephraim’s Harp

December 18, 2004 | 7 comments

On an earlier thread, someone opined that I am precisely the sort of snob for whom it is impossible to select a musical gift that will be appreciated. I want to report that two brilliant, generous and very thoughtful friends have actually done it, even without reference to an Amazon wish list. The CD is Saints Bound for Heaven, recorded by a Mormonish group called Ephraim’s Harp in NYC, and it’s great stuff. The performance preserves the vigor and excitement of a Sacred Harp sing, without the jarring intonation problems that can occur with a wildly enthusiastic group of amateurs. There’s lots of good singing here, and some fun settings of texts we know with other tunes. This is the soil from which American (and Mormon) hymnody grew, and it’s a good thing to return to roots every once in a while. You can listen to clips and buy the CD here. Do it!!

7 Responses to Shameless Huckstering: Ephraim’s Harp

1. a random John on December 18, 2004 at 2:47 pm

I see that Clark is overachieving as usual…

2. Kevin Ashworth on December 18, 2004 at 3:20 pm

Got my CD in the mail this week and am listening to it right now, as a matter of fact.

I can give it a strong recommendation. Of course I would recommend it no matter what, because I know a few people involved with this, have attended one of their concerts and want to see this sort of worthy endeavor do well.

But I can objectively say that I am currently being buoyed by its lively, American sounds in a way that is independent of all that. Ah, sweet music.

3. David King Landrith on December 18, 2004 at 4:56 pm

If this web site is going to support commercial endeavors, then shouldn’t it the domain name end “.com” instead of “.org”?

4. Kristine on December 18, 2004 at 5:14 pm

DKL, Ephraim’s Harp is a non-profit group.

5. David King Landrith on December 18, 2004 at 5:26 pm

A likely story.

6. Wilfried on December 19, 2004 at 10:04 am

DKL, Timesandseasons.com already exists…

7. David King Landrith on December 19, 2004 at 11:54 pm