A visit from our inlaws.

December 4, 2004 | 8 comments

Our inlaws surprised us with a quick visit from Seattle. We hadn’t seen them in some time. This afternoon they left again. We went outside and waved them out of sight, as is the custom. My oldest daughter broke . I wanted to. Farewells are like yanking up your heart’s roots into the hot, dry wind.

In a year we’ll go to New Mexico. Great law jobs aren’t there or schools or really anything. But our family is there and we want to go home. We want to be around the people we love so much that we take it for granted. We want to dive into the deep pool of family and never come up for air.

8 Responses to A visit from our inlaws.

1. Times and Seasons » E pluribus unum. on January 17, 2005 at 5:52 pm

[...] d when Christmas was over and we had to go our separate ways. But I’ve already said what I need to about family partings. That’s not todays theme. We kept my siste [...]

2. Jordan on December 4, 2004 at 6:10 pm

I’m glad you feel that way. If it were us, we would drown in that “deep pool of family.” A couple of days drive is a good distance to be- close enough for semi-regular visits, far enough away to not drown. :)

3. Geoff B on December 4, 2004 at 7:13 pm

Adam, I know what you mean. I was an expat in Brazil until last year. The job was great, I learned a tremendous amount, and I could have stayed a lot longer if I wanted to. But living that far away from family was literally painful for me. You need to see your family regularly, at least once a month if possible. I would like to live about an hour away from all of them: close enough to see them regularly but not so close that you don’t have some space for yourself.

4. Jordan Fowles on December 4, 2004 at 8:06 pm

Wow- once a month is a lot. I am more a once a year type of guy.

5. Jordan Fowles on December 4, 2004 at 8:09 pm

(no offense, of course, John…) ;)

6. David King Landrith on December 5, 2004 at 1:22 am

Your quite lucky to have a family like this. I think that for most people it is much easier to deal with family as a guest than as a neighbor.

7. Andrea Wright on December 6, 2004 at 11:47 am

Adam, I feel your pain. We lived away for 4 years and then we knew it was time to come home. My husband quit his great job and company he’d been with for 7 years not exactly knowing what he would do here. It’s been an adventure and a huge sacrifice on his part, but he would tell you how worth it it has been. There’s nothing quite like watching our kids sit with my Mom or Dad to be read to or cuddled, or running around with their cousins, or knowing and loving their great-grandparents in their final years.

8. Adam Greenwood on December 6, 2004 at 5:25 pm

Thank you, Andrea Wright, for showing what’s possible. I admit that sometimes we’re planning on moving back home because we want to dive into family and never come up for air, and sometimes we do it because we feel a duty to feel that way and realize we can’t without proximity and a lot of work.