Welcome, Bryce Inouye.

October 18, 2004 | 11 comments

Bryce Inouye is a computer science maven at Duke. He has three children, an interest in homeschooling, in English, in linguistics, in history, in Nobel Prize winners, one-term Secretaries of State, the Moh’s scale, and, in short, in everything. Bryce Inouye is a quiz bowl man. I first met Bryce when I joined BYU’s jv quizbowl team. Bryce was one of the polymaths on the varsity squad of whom we underclassmen went in distant awe and worship. He was Ty Detmer to our Kevin Feterik.

He still is, frankly. Why, I even hear that Bryce Inouye is a FOKJ (Friend of Ken Jennings). And he has the same last name as the Senator from Hawaii. Happy postings, Bryce I. May the commenters be with you.

Update
In response to all the queries, no, I don’t know if Bryce takes tips. You’ll just have to ask him.

11 Responses to Welcome, Bryce Inouye.

1. danithew on October 18, 2004 at 2:07 am

Great! I’m looking forward to reading whatever Bryce puts up. We grew up in the same ward years ago. :)

2. Brian Duffin on October 18, 2004 at 10:33 am

Bryce and I went to different schools together many years ago. I still have many fond memories.

3. Bryce I on October 18, 2004 at 11:39 am

BTW, that’s “Mohs scale,” not “Moh’s scale”.

4. Mark B on October 18, 2004 at 12:11 pm

I’d give Bryce a tip if he’d bring me my lunch. Pronto!

5. Jonathan Green on October 18, 2004 at 2:37 pm

Bryce, I still have the negatives.

6. The Only True and Living Nathan on October 18, 2004 at 3:37 pm

You forget, he’s also the first T&S nominee for the Mormon Presidential Party (the only true and living party, you know).

7. Jordan Fowles on October 19, 2004 at 9:00 pm

Do you homeschool your three children? (We just started doing that this year with our three…) Any tips?

8. Bryce I on October 19, 2004 at 9:06 pm

Jordan –

Our oldest is 6, so she’s the only one officially homeschooling at this point, although it’s a bit hard to keep the others from accidentally learning stuff on the way, despite our best efforts to keep them ignorant.

I’ll post on homeschooling during my guestblogging stint, probably more than once. I’m interested to hear what your experience is, and Julie’s as well.

9. Jordan Fowles on October 20, 2004 at 9:30 am

Bryce,

That would be great! Our oldest is ALMOST 6, and he is the target of the homeschooling effort. But our three and a half year old would be devastated not to be included, and the baby- well, she is into everything no matter how hard we try to keep it safe… ;)

10. John Young on October 20, 2004 at 11:14 am

Bryce,

My wife and I are also homeschooling a 6-year-old (with our 4-year-old tagging along). I look forward to your posts. Are you following any particular methodology (e.g., Waldorf, Charlotte Mason, Unschooling, etc.)?

11. Bryce I on October 22, 2004 at 11:54 pm

Jordan Fowles and John Young–

My first homeschool-related post is up, so we can talk over there.