Calling All Bright Young Minds

October 3, 2004 | 22 comments

I have a unique opportunity and I need some help taking full advantage of it.

I’m less than an inch over five feet tall and I have huge babies–10’3 and 8’15 (but that one was two weeks early). Consequently, I don’t look pregnant. I look like a caricature of a pregnant woman.

This baby will be delivered on November 3rd. Which means that on Halloween, I will be seriously, comically, horrifically pregnant.

So what I am looking for: a Halloween costume that will do justice to my situation. Ideas?

22 Responses to Calling All Bright Young Minds

1. [...] post may have led you to believe that Julie Smith would be parading around on Halloween as the old lady who swallowed a fly, or the whale who swallowed Jonah, but a recen [...]

2. [...] Julie Smith would be parading around on Halloween as the old lady who swallowed a fly, or the whale who swallowed Jonah, but a recent inquiry reveals that she’s dec [...]

3. marta on October 3, 2004 at 11:38 am

One of my friends won a costume contest while hugely pregnant dressed as a Christmas tree. Don’t know where she got the green dress or whether she used any pine boughs, but she pinned her own decorations all over herself and wore her tree topper as a hat. Might not be the most comfortable thing to sit down in, but staying on your feet for hours might bring on labor and that can only be good.

4. Stewart Foss on October 3, 2004 at 11:52 am

Maybe you should be a jack-o-lantern. ;)

5. obi-wan on October 3, 2004 at 2:02 pm

Shelob.

6. RYan Bell on October 3, 2004 at 2:53 pm

Julie, I had a pregnant friend that came as an oven, with her belly painted to look like a bun. Her husband came to the party as a baker.

7. Jen Li on October 3, 2004 at 3:07 pm

You could go as a basketball hoop with a basketball inside or a globe of the world or heaven forbid, a Teletubbie. *grin*

8. Anon on October 3, 2004 at 3:24 pm

1. Human leaf bag
    2. Belly dancer
    3. Pumpkin
    4. Wear black gown with hole cut out to allow belly to show; then paint belly orange or wear something orange over your belly and decorate it as a jack-o-lantern to look like you’re holding one
    5. Basketball player (cut hole in basketball outfit to allow belly to show, then paint belly orange or wear something orange over your belly to look like you’re carrying a ball)
    6. Bowling ball (husband goes as a pin)
    7. Bowler (cut out hole in bowling clothes to allow belly to show, then paint belly black or wear something black over your belly to look like you’re carrying a bowling ball)
    8. Sumo wrestler
    9. Humpty Dumpty
    10. Package (put a special delivery label on the brown box costume along with a label saying “Do not open until November 2004 [or the applicable date]”
    11. A bunch of grapes (purple sweat suit with purple balloons taped on)
    12. Atom
    13. Saturn (wear a hula hoop)
    14. Simply wear a sign reading, “Yes, I’m pregnant” or “If you must ask, Yes, I’m pregnant.”
    15. Clairvoyant (wear sign reading, “I can read your mind. Right now you’re thinking, “Is she pregnant”? The answer is yes.”)

9. ronin on October 3, 2004 at 4:50 pm

Wearing a costume where your belly is out is not a good idea – what with everyone wanting to pat it etc. You dont want the precious baby inside disturbed in any way.

10. Todd on October 3, 2004 at 5:15 pm

One of my friends went to a Halloween party dressed as Jonah and the Whale. She was the whale and the baby inside was Jonah. Have fun!

11. Smac97 on October 3, 2004 at 7:57 pm

My wife is due on 10/6. She thinks she looks like an ice cream cone. Maybe you could dress up as that.

-Smac

12. Anon on October 3, 2004 at 8:28 pm

Another idea: Santa Claus.

13. Rosalynde Welch on October 3, 2004 at 8:41 pm

I say you wear a black cardigan, black leggings, let the belly hang out and paint it as a yellow-and-black internet emoticon.

14. Been There... Didn't Do That on October 3, 2004 at 9:00 pm

I was actually due on Halloween. I never dressed up. I was too depressed to still be pregnant (and so sick of hearing, “you’re still here”). I actually delivered on Veteran’s Day–11 days later.

Anyway, if I could do it again I would dress up as a naughty nun. Or maybe a hard-boiled egg with my belly as the yolk.

15. Kristine on October 3, 2004 at 9:17 pm

The old lady who swallowed the fly–you could do a flannel board with all the animals on your belly. :)

16. danithew on October 3, 2004 at 9:19 pm

For some reason I’m thinking of the movie Alien or Aliens.

17. Chad Too on October 3, 2004 at 9:21 pm

I’m going to date myself here, but I’ve often thought a pregnant lady could pull off being the Fig Newtons’ Big Fig. Retro is soooo in these days…

18. Karen on October 3, 2004 at 10:50 pm

I have to second Kristine’s idea. So cute, so easy, and does not require a bare painted belly of any sort. (People, did you not notice that Julie said she’s REALLY pregnant????)

19. thesnakeguy on October 3, 2004 at 11:47 pm

My favorite costume is a baby blue shirt and pants with cotton ball sewn on. When you get asked what you are, you respond… Partly cloudy with a chance of showers, and you squirt them with a spray bottle.

20. diogenes on October 4, 2004 at 6:22 pm

A variation on the Shelob idea — dress in black, paint a red hour glass on your tummy, and go as a black widow.

21. Kristine on October 4, 2004 at 8:59 pm

Inspired by today’s news: Mt. St. Helens?

(Sorry!)

22. cordeiro on October 5, 2004 at 10:19 am

. I’m too busy laughing to type clearly.