What’s the word for . . .

August 16, 2004 | 4 comments

What’s the word for those representative two sentences that the Ensign puts at the beginning of every Conference talk? The New Republic, the Atlantic Monthly, and other magazines do something similar, though they usually do it in a blown-up box in the middle of the article.


4 Responses to What’s the word for . . .

  1. Anon on August 16, 2004 at 2:29 pm

    I believe it’s called a pull quote.

  2. danithew on August 16, 2004 at 2:41 pm

    While we’re at it… talking about formatting issues … I recently learned what the big decorative letter that is often placed at the beginning of the first paragraph of an article is called. It’s called a “drop-caps letter” or an “initial cap”. I toyed around with having one of those at the beginning of my posts… but found it was too cluttery.

  3. Kim Siever on August 16, 2004 at 3:05 pm

    Anon is right.

  4. Silus Grok on August 16, 2004 at 5:29 pm

    It’s not a pull-quote unless it’s a quote… otherwise it’s just a lead.


Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.