Happy Friday the 13th, Everyone!

August 13, 2004 | 10 comments

I don’t have any belief in real effects caused by Friday the 13th. (Other than in Nethack, of course). But it is a fun reminder of more superstitious days and beliefs. Or is it something more?

In any case, happy Friday the 13th!

10 Responses to Happy Friday the 13th, Everyone!

1. Russell Arben Fox on August 13, 2004 at 5:41 pm

As I said below, I consider Friday the 13ths to be lucky days. Or, at least, days on which I have good reason to hope that I’ll get lucky.

2. diogenes on August 13, 2004 at 6:03 pm

It’s something more. My understanding is that it was the day that the Knights Templar were wiped out by Phillip in 1307, which is where the “bad luck” tradition started. The Inquisition was typically very bad luck. Nobody expects the Spanish — er, French — Inquisition.

3. Chad too on August 13, 2004 at 6:10 pm

All the best with that, Russell!

I, however, have the unmitigated bad luck on having my non-member pain-in-the-hindquarters mother-in-law visiting today (day 9 of 14), so the only lucky I’ll be getting is bad lucky.

Hmmm. There are tornadoes in the area today. Wonder if she’ll put her striped socks on and step outside…

4. Silus Grok on August 13, 2004 at 6:17 pm

Oh! Be nice, Chad Too: remember: families are _forever_.

5. Chad too on August 13, 2004 at 6:24 pm

We passed _forever_ on day 6…

6. Chad Too on August 13, 2004 at 6:27 pm

I forgot the smilie ;-).
    No one should take any of this seriously, btw. Just a little standard issue joshing at the mother-in-law’s expense.

Yet, Wednesday can’t come soon enough.

7. Ivan Wolfe on August 13, 2004 at 11:22 pm

I always buy my wife a small gift on Friday the 13th.

8. Mark on August 14, 2004 at 4:03 pm

My 13th birthday was on a Friday the 13th.

My 58th birthday (and 5 + 8 = 13!) will be on a Friday the 13th in the year 2013.

I hope I live to see it!

9. Weston C on August 19, 2004 at 2:35 pm

Nethack. This is like, the first time since high school I have ever heard another Mormon refer to nethack.

10. Sarah on January 14, 2006 at 11:30 pm

My mom was born on a Friday the 13th, so she thinks they’re especially lucky. And my little sisters play Nethack…