Last night, Melissa and I watched the new version of Peter Pan. We wanted to see if it was appropriate viewing for the family; though a marvelous film, we decided it wasn’t. This version very clearly turns the tale into a coming-of-age/growing-up/sexual-awakening story, and while we both thought it was told with terrific humor, great sensitivity and tact, and wonderful visuals, we agreed that it was probably too much for our oldest–Megan, who will be 8 in August. Maybe when she’s 10 or so. Anyway, in coming to this conclusion, we found ourselves wondering about how, and when, we should have “the sex talk” with Megan. We both agree that we wanted her to learn about such matters from us before any one else, but we also don’t want to rush things she isn’t ready to handle, just to make sure she gets it from us first. We talked about our own experiences with learning the facts of life–Melissa’s parents never gave her “the talk,” but instead gave her a book when she was 11 or so, and told her to come to them if she had any questions; my father, by contrast, very emphatically sat me down one evening and solemnly related the whole business to me in fairly explicit detail (my memory of this talk has grown rather humorous as the years have gone by). It is something Melissa and I will probably discuss quite a bit over the summer–Megan goes into third grade next year. So anyway, I open the thread to any and all who wish to comment, but I’d especially be interested in the experiences of parents who have passed, or reached, or nearly reached, this point in their children’s development. When did you tell your kids about sex? And how did you do it? I’m quite interested to learn.
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- The Three Neophytes
- whizzbang: Apostles come from all shapes and sizes, some are very well educated and some...
- mirrorrorrim: I have a couple of thoughts about this. First, I think most people are...
- Cameron N.: If nothing else, I will be glad to hear him speak more. His talks are very...
- WalkerW: “Adam was placed in the Garden of Eden “to dress it and to keep it”...
- Mike: Six days shalt thou labor… I suggest that half or even most of Sabbath...
Notes From All Over
- New Presiding Bishopric Announced October 9, 2015
- Mormons Around the World Country Newsroom Websites October 9, 2015 October 9, 2015
- Mormonism in Pictures: Reflections of General Conference Fall 2015 October 9, 2015
- Church Recognized for Saving Electricity and Protecting the Environment October 8, 2015
- Leadership Changes in Presidency of the Seventy Announced October 6, 2015
- Mormonism Online: In Your Own Words | October 5, 2015 October 5, 2015
Sex and Kids: A Practical Question
June 8, 2004 | 19 commentsBy Russell Arben Fox