Last night, Melissa and I watched the new version of Peter Pan. We wanted to see if it was appropriate viewing for the family; though a marvelous film, we decided it wasn’t. This version very clearly turns the tale into a coming-of-age/growing-up/sexual-awakening story, and while we both thought it was told with terrific humor, great sensitivity and tact, and wonderful visuals, we agreed that it was probably too much for our oldest–Megan, who will be 8 in August. Maybe when she’s 10 or so. Anyway, in coming to this conclusion, we found ourselves wondering about how, and when, we should have “the sex talk” with Megan. We both agree that we wanted her to learn about such matters from us before any one else, but we also don’t want to rush things she isn’t ready to handle, just to make sure she gets it from us first. We talked about our own experiences with learning the facts of life–Melissa’s parents never gave her “the talk,” but instead gave her a book when she was 11 or so, and told her to come to them if she had any questions; my father, by contrast, very emphatically sat me down one evening and solemnly related the whole business to me in fairly explicit detail (my memory of this talk has grown rather humorous as the years have gone by). It is something Melissa and I will probably discuss quite a bit over the summer–Megan goes into third grade next year. So anyway, I open the thread to any and all who wish to comment, but I’d especially be interested in the experiences of parents who have passed, or reached, or nearly reached, this point in their children’s development. When did you tell your kids about sex? And how did you do it? I’m quite interested to learn.
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- A 9-year-old Child’s Notes on Gen Conf Sat afternoonReading Nephi – 1:7-17
- Clark Goble: Sadly no Kindle version. But yeah $37 is fairly reasonable.
- Terry H: Clark. I’ll bide my time for something longer on Alma 12-13. I agree 100%...
- James Olsen: Katie — you’re quite welcome, thanks for joining the conversation.
Notes From All Over
- Three Named to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles October 3, 2015
- Coverage and News Media Resources from the 185th Semiannual General Conference October 3, 2015
- The World Report October 3, 2015
- Photos of the Speakers From the 185th Semiannual General Conference October 3, 2015
- Mormon Temples Currently Under Construction October 2, 2015
- Children’s Handprints Displayed on Temple Square October 1, 2015
Sex and Kids: A Practical Question
June 8, 2004 | 19 commentsBy Russell Arben Fox