I Hope They Call Me On a . . . National Guard Mobilization?

June 29, 2004 | 10 comments

From junior companion to squad leader. From 6 a.m. scripture study to 6 a.m. reveille. From a demanding zone leader to an even more demanding sergeant.

Talk about a transfer to a new area. Welcome to active duty, Elders. Your National Guard units have been called up. Have a safe trip.

10 Responses to I Hope They Call Me On a . . . National Guard Mobilization?

1. Clark Goble on June 30, 2004 at 1:25 am

This happened in the Gulf War I as well, didn’t it? I seem to recall a few people getting called up like that. Perhaps I’m not remembering things straight though.

2. lyle on June 30, 2004 at 6:40 am

Yes, Elder Moroni, you too can now live up to the proud theological heritage of the Plan of Salvation. Once you fought in the War in HEaven; now you get to fight in a mortal war to ensure that _all_ of Father’s children can exercise their agency. And if your journey is through…all is well, all is well.

3. Adam Greenwood on June 30, 2004 at 10:21 am

God bless.
    Lyle, when’s your time?

4. catherine on June 30, 2004 at 1:43 pm

The comments linked to the article in the Herald are also quite telling.

5. lyle on June 30, 2004 at 6:35 pm

Catherine: I can’t tell if your are leaking sarcasm; or what the point of your comment was. However, I agree..the comments in the news are fairly strong…and so very ignorant at worst, uninformed at best.

I AM IN THE NATIONAL GUARD (enlisted in Utah, currently in NJ).

The intial term of enlistment is 6 years + 2 in the Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR). While in the IRR, you are on a list. You do _NOT_ drill nor receive pay. You are just on the list _in case_ the country needs you & they know you are trained.

LDS missionaries who join the National Guard before going on a mission are put into the IRR while they are serving missions; hence they are not “getting out” of service. Because there are so many LDS in Utah, the Utah Army National Guard (a state entity) has a set policy allowing the 2 year religious service to be the IRR service. Other states also allow this. There is _NO_ favoritism in this. Grow up folks.

The U.S. rarely uses the IRR. They have just decided to. Hence, _some_ LDS missionaries are being called up.

Adam: No news. I wasn’t chosen to deploy with the rest of my unit because I do not have a security clearance as of yet; nor am I MOS (that is skill training, i.e. for me…radio operator) qualified yet either. Hence…they are still deciding whther to rush my training & send me, or re-assign me to another unit & stay state-side to do homeland security assignments.

6. Bob on June 30, 2004 at 11:17 pm

Lyle: Are you saying the Plan of Salvation includes Wars of Liberation?

7. lyle on July 1, 2004 at 11:41 am

Bob: Yup. Def. You don’t? Seems like a fairly non-controversial assumption to me. Unless the American Revolutionary War _was not_ part of the Plan of Salvation…Restoration of the Gospel?

Regardless: I presented the facts of the 2 year IRR service that serve to rebut the cluelessness of too many non-military folks & their eagerness to put those they disagree with under the rhetorical knife…

8. Bob on July 1, 2004 at 12:59 pm

Lyle: I do disagree, but I do not seek a fight. I hope your second line was not directed at me. In 1966, I served a mission as IRR (USMCR).

9. lyle on July 1, 2004 at 1:04 pm

No Bob…the 2nd line was def. not directed at you. As a marine, you are a real soldier…not a national guard puke like me :)

Sorry for the lack of specifics. It was more directed at Kaimi’s implicit criticism & Catherine’s explicit endorsement of the implicit criticism in the comments (unless she cares to correct me and/or her comment).

10. catherine on July 1, 2004 at 1:38 pm

Lyle – There are at least three perspectives represented in the comments…which did you assume I was endorsing? My comment was merely to draw attention to the comments which, I feel, tell as interesting a story as the actual article.