A Peek Behind the Scenes at T&S

June 23, 2004 | 13 comments

Our gentle readers may be interested to know that Jim’s post on discussing politics grew partly out of some extended e-mail discussion that has gone on today among the T&S regulars about a perception among readers of a conservative tilt in the comments and discussions here (there were a few e-mail complaints from readers; a few of the regular bloggers–cough, khh, cough–were feeling a little oppressed). After reading and responding to this flurry of e-mail, I checked in just in time to read the exchange on the Elder Packer and Beards thread about how the conservatives are oppressed around here. Perhaps if everyone feels opressed, we’re doing something right?

If there’s anyone who doesn’t feel that his or her (or their, Kingsley:)) ox is being well and truly gored, please let us know immediately, and we will do our best to offend you!

13 Responses to A Peek Behind the Scenes at T&S

1. Nate Oman on June 24, 2004 at 12:18 am

Kristine: I am very seldom offended by anything that is said here. (It may be a function of the fact that I am seldom offended.) You are clearly not trying hard enough…

2. Ivan Wolfe on June 24, 2004 at 12:19 am

I feel slighted because I (and other sci-fi geeks like me) have yet to be oppressed.

Please hurry up and oppress me and mine soon.

;-)

3. Kaimi on June 24, 2004 at 12:23 am

Well, as long as you don’t tell people about the real secrets that go on behind the scenes at T & S — you know, human sacrifice, blood pastries, pagan chants, and (gasp!) multi-level marketing. . .

4. Jim F. on June 24, 2004 at 12:35 am

Blood pastries? As a wanna-be foodie, I want to know why this is the first time I’ve heard about them. Whose holding out?

5. John H on June 24, 2004 at 1:08 am

For what it’s worth, I’ve always felt like T&S is one of the best places online for a discussion. I don’t get to read blogs often, let alone post, but when I do, it seems like a fair and balanced group.

I suspect I’m farther to the left than most on here (yet another reference to “liberal” and “conservative,” for lack of a better term – sorry), yet people always respond to my posts with intelligence and good-will, and never with the automatic assumption I get elsewhere that my views are wrong simply because they aren’t the norm.

I love it at Sunstone, but it’s a very insulated world. Just as some sit in Church to be reinforced in the correctness of their views while not ever hearing an alternate idea, I sometimes sit at Sunstone, hearing the perspectives of my fellow Sunstoners, basking in the correctness of our worldview, without so much as a dissenting voice to mix it up. Coming to T&S helps give me even a tiny bit of balance. It’s a great group.

6. Aaron Brown on June 24, 2004 at 1:48 am

I’ve been on semi-hiatus from blogging for a little while, but I want to assure you Kristine that I’m itching to begin dishing out some “equal opportunity oppression” around here again.

Aaron B

7. Aaron Brown on June 24, 2004 at 1:49 am

Aaron B

8. Kristine on June 24, 2004 at 9:47 am

I can’t believe it–do I have to do the Monty Python reference myself?!

Help, help, I’m being oppressed!!

9. Eric James Stone on June 24, 2004 at 10:40 am

Ivan,

Times and Seasons has oppressed sci-fi geeks. Take a look at this post.

10. BTD Greg on June 24, 2004 at 11:52 am

I’m quite sure my ox isn’t being gored. I just haven’t figured out which ox that is, yet. Or something.

I’m somewhat new to T&S, and have a hard time keeping up with the fast-and-furious spiritual-minefield environment around here. There’s some good stuff being discussed. Keep up the good work. I’m not sure you’ll be able to offend me, but I’ll check in now just to find out.

11. Dan Burk on June 24, 2004 at 12:19 pm

Well, nobody’s offered me any blood pastries, but if they’re anything like black pudding, that’s okay. Jim can have my share.

12. Grasshopper on June 24, 2004 at 1:39 pm

Kristine, you need to brush up on your Monty Python. It’s “Help, help, I’m being repressed!” :-P

13. lyle on June 24, 2004 at 1:56 pm

Kristine: i’ve encouraged Kingsley to embrace the repression/oppression/ox-goring. it’s actually fairly instructive, if you have a high enough pain/insult threshold! ;)