Visiting Jershon

May 21, 2004 | 9 comments

There are some fun goings-on over at Sons of Mosiah.

Bob Caswell wants to know how big is too big when it comes to blogging. It’s a good question and a good post, and it has generated some interesting comments. (A related question is “how big is too big” for a comments chain — I certainly have a hard time keeping up with the uber-chains of comments we sometimes see around here. By way of illustration of “how big is too big?”, perhaps everyone should hit the Sons of Mosiah comment thread, so that we can see at what point Bob posts “Enough! Stop the madness!”).

Also, just when I was despairing of ever having enough time to put together an “around the blogs” thread, Cooper (aka Daughter of Mosiah) went and made one herself. It’s a useful collection of links to some recent goings-on inside and outside the bloggernacle.

Enjoy!

9 Responses to Visiting Jershon

1. cooper on May 21, 2004 at 2:57 pm

Thanks Kaimi for the “trackback”! ;-)

2. Bob Caswell on May 21, 2004 at 11:09 pm

Kaimi, you’re just jealous of the small size of our blog. Admit it! :-)

Here’s an idea: I challenge all the T&S authors to try and create a post that generates the least comments. The winner gets to be a guest blogger at Sons of Mosiah. :-)

3. Adam Greenwood on May 22, 2004 at 12:48 am

Bob,
    If you want me to guest blog, just say so. Why go through the rigmarole?

4. Bob Caswell on May 22, 2004 at 3:18 am

Hmm… Adam, I’ll have to think about that one… I’m not sure our blog is ready for your 100+ comment-generating posts on Homosexuality/Abortion. :-)

5. Kaimi on May 22, 2004 at 11:20 am

Bob / Adam,

If you’re really interested in the fewest-comments threads, take a look at:

THIS LINK.

I’ve considered putting something linke that up on the sidebar even. The problem is that it’s skewed in a few predictable ways. Posts in categories like “Admin” and “Around the Blogs” often get no comments. Also, posts authored between November 19 (start of the blog) and November 27, 2003 (the move to MT) often have no comments. That’s a total of fifty posts which overwhelmingly have zero comments.

We had Haloscan comments for a short period there, but it looks like they no longer exist (at least, I can’t find them anymore at the old blogspot blog address). (I guess I should have copied them over — oh well).

If I were a real programmer, I could apply some filters to keep these off of the list. As is, I can’t, so the list is less useful than one might think.

6. cooper on May 22, 2004 at 12:17 pm

The Gossiping and Tithing one had to a haloscan one that lost its comments. It was one the first one’s I commented on here.

I picked up T&S from David Sundwall’s A Soft Answer.

7. Ethesis on May 23, 2004 at 6:41 pm

BCC seems to be down, for comparison.

Anyone know if that has increased the SOM?