This may be old news to Manhattanites, but I see that the Church has recently announced that the temple there will be getting a steeple and Moroni. I have somewhat mixed feelings about this. Certainly the changes will help with “branding” (for lack of a better word). But I always liked the building’s fairly pure modernist bent, which blends in well with the surrounding neighborhood (especially Lincoln Center), and has become somewhat rare in Mormondom. Moroni comes, I think, with no small aesthetic cost, but perhaps one worth paying. For more on Mormon architecture and aesthetics, see this thread.
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Upgrading Our Lay Clergy Model
- Roman Bredlow: I serve as a Bishop right now (4 years now) and I can tell you I constantly...
- Cameron N: Well put ceejay. I’m sick of the cherrypicking of both sides. Just like...
- Jax: ceejay… sounds good!
- Wilfried: Dank je wel, Walter. Our college in Antwerp lost one of our foreign doctoral...
- Geoff -Aus: One of my sons in law who is an Australian federal police officer, and also a...
Notes From All Over
Notes from All Over
- Mormonism in the News: Getting It Right | 23 July 2014 July 23, 2014
- FamilySearch Volunteers Break International Indexing Record July 23, 2014
- Mormon Youth in Utah Host Special Needs Pioneer Trek July 22, 2014
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Santino Fontana Headline Pioneer Day Concerts July 20, 2014
- Groundbreaking Date Announced for Meridian Idaho Mormon Temple July 18, 2014
- Ogden Utah Temple Open House: Tickets Available 21 July July 17, 2014
Moroni over Modernism
May 31, 2004 | 23 commentsBy Greg Call