Create your own quasi-Canon!

April 20, 2004 | 10 comments

Not that we don’t already. Not that there’s anything wrong with that (grins inoffensively).

I’ve just been flipping through BYU magazine. It announces that you can now order customized books and DVD’s of BYU speeches. Just select your preferred speeches, and voila! Here’s the site. A belated hat tip to doctrinal.net, who’s already posted on downloading the speeches as mp3′s.

Note: I am not criticizing customized books of speeches. I actually like the idea.

10 Responses to Create your own quasi-Canon!

1. Ben on April 20, 2004 at 7:13 pm

(Enthusiasm) Ooh! ooh! I want mine to have the proclamation on the family, the amalgamated king-follet discourse, and can I throw out Leviticus and D&C 121?

2. Ben on April 20, 2004 at 7:16 pm

Hmmm. It took my grin symbol for webmarkup, and got rid of it.

3. Adam Greenwood on April 20, 2004 at 7:29 pm

I originally thought you wrote ‘animated King Follet Discourse,’ which of course would be pretty cool.

4. Mike on April 20, 2004 at 7:33 pm

animated king follet discourse would be pretty cool.

we should call the living scriptures people and have them get on that

5. john fowles on April 20, 2004 at 10:48 pm

I’ve been waiting for the living scriptures to do 1 & 2 Maccabbees first. It could be a real epic. Get Phil Collins to do a song or two for the soundtrack.

6. lyle on April 20, 2004 at 11:03 pm

actually john…Mel Gibson has announced that 1&2 Maccabbees is his next film project. no joke. :)

7. john fowles on April 20, 2004 at 11:10 pm

I had heard that! Actually, I’m excited (except that I’m one of those “sheep” LDS who won’t see it if it’s rated R for the mere reason that the Prophet said not to). Maybe it won’t be R-rated.

8. lyle on April 20, 2004 at 11:14 pm

Oh yeah…all those that feel that obeying the Prophet is a sign of blind obedience can add that to their quasi cannon also.

No offense intended to John personally. :)

I’ll add the Proclamation on the Family & The Gospels of Maxwell, Faust, Benson, et al. to mine.

9. john fowles on April 20, 2004 at 11:17 pm

When I was in the MTC our Branch President gave us a scripture sized copy of President Benson’s talk on Pride that he then instructed us to past in our scriptures at the end of the D&C. It was a cool idea and as a 19 year old missionary it was neat to have the talk in scripture format, divided into verses and everything.

10. Kevin on April 21, 2004 at 3:21 am

Living Scriptures actually does have an animated version of the Maccabbees story. I got this and others for the mere price of a small car.