Uh-oh.

February 5, 2004 | 15 comments

I just took the entertaining “Belief System Selector” (what religion are you?) online quiz (link via Minnow’s Pond). And the results are in: I’m not really a Mormon! According to the quiz, I match up to:

1. Mainline – Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)
2. Mainline – Conservative Christian Protestant (93%)
3. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (92%)
4. Jehovah’s Witness (83%)
5. Orthodox Quaker (77%)
6. Eastern Orthodox (69%)
7. Roman Catholic (69%)
8. Seventh Day Adventist (68%)
9. Liberal Quakers (65%)
10. Bahá’í Faith (63%)

Hmm, I wonder if that means I can’t be in the Elders Quorum presidency any more. But seriously, perhaps the most interesting result was that Jehovah’s Witness scored so high for me. Mindi had a similarly high JW score (93%). Are Mormon and JW belief systems really that similar?

Tags: , ,

15 Responses to Uh-oh.

1. Kaimi on February 5, 2004 at 9:07 pm

It’s getting worse. Now I tried the “Christian Denomination Selector”. http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=christiandenom

I got these results:

#1 International Church of Christ
    #2 United Pentecostal Church
    #3 Assemblies of God
    #4 Church of Christ
    #5 Seventh-Day Adventist
    #6 Free Will Baptist
    #7 Mennonite Brethren
    #8 Mormonism
    #9 Roman Catholic Church
    #10 Southern Baptist

Mormonism didn’t come in until #8! And I was consciously trying to come out of this one as a Mormon!

I must confess I have a few doubts on the veracity of the test . . . :)

2. Kristine on February 5, 2004 at 9:51 pm

Kaimi, let me add to your doubts. I did this quiz a couple of months ago and came out as 99% Southern Baptist (!)

3. Bob Caswell on February 5, 2004 at 10:59 pm

I did the test and came up as a Mormon. I was kind of disappointed. I was hoping to be a scientologist or something. Oh well, I guess I’ll just stick with Mormon. ;-)

4. Logan on February 5, 2004 at 11:38 pm

Well, Kaimi, if it makes you feel any better, Mormonism was #17 for me on your second test (read into that whatever you want, but I promise — I’m a faithful member!). My results on the first one were pretty much like yours.

5. Brent on February 6, 2004 at 12:33 am

On the second test mormonism was number 5 for me. I think the problem is that our answers to many of the questions, from a doctrinal perspective are much broader, than the agree/disagree choices they give you.

6. Brent on February 6, 2004 at 12:53 am

I took the other test with my wife and we had LDS at 100% and JW at 96%. I remember taking this before and getting a similar result. I think the similarities in the religions’ more absolutist doctrines.

7. greenfrog on February 6, 2004 at 2:56 pm

There is yet another belief sorter at BeliefNet:

Like others, its questions and answers are not always perfect fits for traditional, orthodoxy Mormons, but in most instances, the available alternatives are clearly crafted in some degree to fit Mormonism.

When I ran the test, I came out Universal Unitarian, with Theravaden Buddhist and Neo-Pagan close second and thirds.

I think that the structure and outcomes of these kinds of tests relate closely to the recent discussion here of what is and is not Mormon doctrine, and what value official doctrine may have.

gf

8. greenfrog on February 6, 2004 at 2:57 pm

There is yet another belief sorter at BeliefNet:

gf

9. Taylor on February 6, 2004 at 4:25 pm

I’m Mormon (100%)
    Mainline- Liberal Christian Protestant (93%)
    Mainline- Conservative Christian Protestant (83%)

I feel pretty good about that!

10. lyle on February 7, 2004 at 5:17 am

Selectsmart:
    #1 International Church of Christ
    #2 Mormon
    #3 Catholic (My Grandma would be proud!!!)

Beliefnet:
    Mormon 100%
    JW 100%

11. Rob on February 12, 2004 at 6:44 pm

Thanks for the tests. I was surprised to come out 100% Mormon, but was also pleased with my runners up…

2) Bahai Faith (94%)
    3) Orthodox Quaker (91%)
    4) Mahayana Buddhism (88%)
    5) JW (87%–supporting my conclusions that JWs have much truth, but not enough to get out of the Terrestrial Kingdom)
    6) Jainism (84%–nature rocks!)
    7) Theravada Buddhism (87%)
    8) Mainline-Liberal Christian Protestant (82%)
    9) Hinduism (81%)
    10) Mainline-Conservative Christian Protestants (80%–maybe I should stop my occasional Rush Limbaugh listening, not worth keeping up with the dark side if it rubs off on you).

Maybe this thread ties in with Nate’s What is Church Doctrine? thread:
    Mormonism surely is a big tent…

12. Bryon Eckert on April 14, 2004 at 7:45 pm

Well what do you know — I am 40% Mormon and 100% Mahayana Buddhist. Scientology isn’t on the list, but as Hubbard said: “The Scientologist is a first cousin to the Buddhist, a distant relative of the Taoist, and a bitter foe of the enslaving priest and the German and Russian defamers of man”. Since Mormon priests are only 16 years old, I would assume they haven’t had the time to do much enslaving.

13. Jan's Liahona on February 6, 2004 at 9:23 am

Belief System Selector
    I took the belief system selector test I found over at Times and Seasons. Well, this is a relief, I guess. 1. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (100%) 2. Mainline – Liberal Christian Protestants (98%) 3. Bahá’í…

14. Jan's Liahona on February 6, 2004 at 9:24 am